Sunday, April 13, 2008

Intentional Intuition

Have you ever known something was going to happen right before it happened? Have you ever met someone for the first time and felt like you've known them before? Have you ever had a dream at night and then seen it actually play out in your waking life? Have you ever used your imagination, created something in your mind, and then had it come true? These are all examples of intuition at work behind the scenes, and everyone has a good story or two of these seemingly unexplainable experiences.

Everyone has intuition working in the background, because everyone is a part of Spirit. But not everyone is using their inborn intuition intentionally. In our modern Western world, we are not taught about our intuition. In fact, from a very early age, we learn to turn away from our intuition. We might hear a parent say something like, "That's just your imagination—it's not real," when their child tells them about the friends he or she can see, but the parents can't. What most parents don't know is that imagination is more real than they can imagine!

The truth is, imagination is a big part of intuition. And the first step to using your intuition intentionally is to engage with your imagination. One of my first experiences with “healing guides” (guides who are not in physical bodies) was in a metaphysical workshop that was introducing us to intentionally using our intuition. The workshop instructor told us to close our eyes and imagine one of our healing guides. When I closed my eyes, I didn’t see anything. I told the instructor that I was having trouble seeing anything, and she said, “Make it up! Just tell me the first thing that comes to mind.” I began to describe a young-looking Native American woman with long black hair, a full-length dress made of sheep skin, with a powerful and determined look in her eyes. It was such a powerful feeling, that I easily began to see her in my mind’s eye. I recognized her as a being I knew well, though not in this physical life.

A few years after that workshop, I was sitting across from a young metaphysical student who was being trained by one of my teachers. She was instructed to give me a reading about my healing guide. Sitting across from her, I wondered what she was going to come up with, and to my amazement and delight, she began to describe my Native American healing guide exactly as I know her to be! It was exhilarating to know that the “imagined” healing guide I had so quickly made up years ago was making her presence known through this young and obviously gifted metaphysical student. My “imagination” had come through another person, someone who had never met me (or my guide!) before.

When we begin to understand that there is so much more to who we really are than our physical bodies or our physical surroundings, we begin to use our intuition intentionally. Realize that you do have tremendous capacity for guiding your life, and it all begins with using your imagination intentionally.

Kim Markison for Hypno-Freedom.com

Copyright 2008. If you would like to reproduce the content contained in this article, please reference: http://www.hypno-freedom.com.

No comments: